Warming up with a 32 bytes fire effect for MSDOS after a few years break from the demoscene for studies and work.
Actually I tried to do this three years earlier but failed to go below 33 bytes. This intro is 31 bytes + 1 byte of padding just for fun.
This effect uses the classic technique:
Generating pseudo-random pixels at the base of the screen. For each pixel, average the current pixel and the three neighbours below it.
Ideally there should some decay too to make the flames disapear quicker but that was asking too much for 32 bytes.
; $ ; $$ ; $$$ ; $ $$$$$$$ ; $$$$$$$$$ ; $$ $$$$ $$$$ $$ ; $$$$$$ $$$$$ ; $$$$ $$$$$$$ ; $$$$$$$ $$$$$$ ; $$$ $$$$$ ; $$$$ $$$ ; $$ $$ ; $$ $$$ ; $ $$ ; ; 32bytes fire effect ; Mathieu 'P01' HENRI ; ___________________ ; http://www.p01.org ; http://www.256b.com .model tiny .code .386 org 100h start: mov al,13h int 10h mov bh,0a5h mov es,bx mov ds,bx mainLoop: xor byte ptr[bx],al inc bl lodsb add al,al add al,[si+319] add al,[si] shr al,2 or al,128 stosb jmp mainLoop db 3 ; lovely padding end start
Of course you can find this 32b Fire on Pouet.net.
Other recent projects
There are many experiments and projects like FIRE to discover other here.
- MUSIC FOR TINY AIRPORTS 2/1 🛫 Celebrating the 40 years anniversay of Brian Eno's "Ambient 1: Music for Airports" with an homage written in 256 bytes with the Web Audio API.
- THEY COME AT DUSK 👺 A survival horror game for JS1k 2018, where you run away from dead miners as you hear your heart beat. Turn around using the arrow keys until all you hear is beeeeeeeep.
- FRONTFEST MOSCOW It was an honour to be invited to Fronfest Moscow 2017 with the little family to give my first workshop; implementing a Twin-stick shooter using ES6 and Canvas, and to continue my CODE🎙ART series of talks + live coding aiming to inspire new web developer artists.
- HYPERSONIC MANDELBULB A hasty invalid JS1k entry using webGL+Audio. Possibly the first one.
- OOMA The winning bootsector of Outline 2005, featuring two images zooming with experimental music in a valid 480bytes Atari bootsector.
- COPTER CRUISE A simple Commanche-like that won the 20lines 'Terrain' contest at the OzoneAsylum in July 2004
- 256B.HTM The first edition of the 256B.HTM contest allowed 5 entries per author. Mine ranked 1st, 10th, 19th and 29th out of 63.
Don't be shy; get in touch by mail, twitter, github, linkedin or pouet if you have any questions, feedback, speaking, workshop or performance opportunity.