Flyby the city of Asahikawa in 64 bytes.
Is that even possible ?
There had been some great 64 bytes intro for DOS, but no voxel landscape so far. I wondered whether it was possible to fit this effect in 64 bytes for almost a year before sitting down and doing it. Turned out to be perfect time as Asahikawa beat another talented coder by a few hours and became the first 64 bytes intro to feature a voxel effect.
; ; A s a h i k a w a ; ; 64b city landscape ; ; Mathieu 'p01' Henri ; http://www.p01.org/ ; ; january 21st, 2007 ; org 100h mov al,13h int 10h mov bh,0a0h mov es,bx main: mov ax,di cdq mov bx,320 div bx ; ax = y, dx = x sub dx,160 mov bx,dx ; bx = x-160 inc ax ; xchg cx,ax ; cx = y+1 mov ah,32 cwd div cx ; ax = perspScale = ~y projected imul bx,ax ; bx = (x-160)*perspScale = ~x projected add ax,si ; frame offset and al,240 ; al = v*16 shr bx,12 ; bx = u xlat ; buildings 'LUT' xor ax,bp ; al = ~height of the building push di loop_y: or al,16 stosb sub di,321 inc ax and al,15 jnz loop_y pop di inc di jnz main inc si ; next frame jnz main db 03h ; <3
Obviously Asahikawa is available on Pouet
Other recent experiments
There are many experiments and projects like ASAHIKAWA to discover other here.
- MUSIC FOR TINY AIRPORTS 2/1 🛫 Celebrating the 40 years anniversary of Brian Eno's "Ambient 1: Music for Airports" with an homage written in 256 bytes with the Web Audio API.
- THEY COME AT DUSK 👺 A survival horror game for JS1k 2018, where you run away from dead miners as you hear your heart beat. Turn around using the arrow keys until all you hear is beeeeeeeep.
- FRONTFEST MOSCOW It was an honour to be invited to Fronfest Moscow 2017 with the little family to give my first workshop; implementing a Twin-stick shooter using ES6 and Canvas, and to continue my CODE🎙ART series of talks + live coding aiming to inspire new web developer artists.
- MANDELBROT ROTOZOOM Many people did fractals renderers in Javasript in 256 bytes, but no one ever made one that zooms and rotate... until today.
- TERRA A voxel landscape rendered using a plasma in a valid 480bytes Atari bootsector. TERRA ranked #2 at Outline 2006
- FIRE Warming up with a 32 bytes fire effect for MSDOS after a few years break from the demoscene for studies and work.
Don't be shy; get in touch by mail, twitter, github, linkedin or pouet if you have any questions, feedback, speaking, workshop or performance opportunity.