Flyby the city of Asahikawa in 64 bytes.
Is that even possible ?
There had been some great 64 bytes intro for DOS, but no voxel landscape so far. I wondered whether it was possible to fit this effect in 64 bytes for almost a year before sitting down and doing it. Turned out to be perfect time as Asahikawa beat another talented coder by a few hours and became the first 64 bytes intro to feature a voxel effect.
; ; A s a h i k a w a ; ; 64b city landscape ; ; Mathieu 'p01' Henri ; http://www.p01.org/ ; ; january 21st, 2007 ; org 100h mov al,13h int 10h mov bh,0a0h mov es,bx main: mov ax,di cdq mov bx,320 div bx ; ax = y, dx = x sub dx,160 mov bx,dx ; bx = x-160 inc ax ; xchg cx,ax ; cx = y+1 mov ah,32 cwd div cx ; ax = perspScale = ~y projected imul bx,ax ; bx = (x-160)*perspScale = ~x projected add ax,si ; frame offset and al,240 ; al = v*16 shr bx,12 ; bx = u xlat ; buildings 'LUT' xor ax,bp ; al = ~height of the building push di loop_y: or al,16 stosb sub di,321 inc ax and al,15 jnz loop_y pop di inc di jnz main inc si ; next frame jnz main db 03h ; <3
Obviously Asahikawa is available on Pouet
Other recent experiments
There are many experiments and projects like ASAHIKAWA to discover other here.
- MUSIC FOR TINY AIRPORTS AT WEB AUDIO CONFERENCE The Web Audio Conference 2018, held in September 19-21 in Berlin was a great mix of researchers, web developers, artists and performers presenting their projects. I had the chance to provide a deep dive into music for tiny airports, explaining how to generate hours and hours of music in a handful of bytes.
- MUSIC FOR TINY AIRPORTS 2/1 🛫 Celebrating the 40 years anniversary of Brian Eno's "Ambient 1: Music for Airports" with an homage written in 256 bytes with the Web Audio API.
- THEY COME AT DUSK 👺 A survival horror game for JS1k 2018, where you run away from dead miners as you hear your heart beat. Turn around using the arrow keys until all you hear is beeeeeeeep.
- DEFENDER OF THE FAVICON The brilliant arcade game Defender now playable inside the favicon of your browser! The idea was to push the concept of generated favicons far and beyond and pack a thrilling retro shooter in 16×16 pixels.
- RUBBER IN SOLID # A crazy twister effect in 256bytes of DHTML
- MANDELBROT ROTOZOOM Many people did fractals renderers in Javasript in 256 bytes, but no one ever made one that zooms and rotate... until today.
- SIERPINSKI GASKET A cute Sierpinski gaskets in 96 bytes of DHTML.
- URYA A sweet text mode 64kb intro on PC, written in PASCAL and showed at the WIRED'96 demoparty where it ranked 4th.
Don't be shy; get in touch by mail, twitter, github, linkedin or pouet if you have any questions, feedback, speaking, workshop or performance opportunity.