Many people did fractals renderers in Javasript in 256 bytes, but no one ever made one that zooms and rotate... until today.
Exactly 256 bytes.
And here is a slightly beautified version of the render loop
for(d='p01?*?:,~.????',C=Math.cos(n-=88),S=Math.sin(n),Y=m=1+C,z=2048;z;Y-=m/16) for(d+='<br>',X=m;--z&63;X-=m/32,d+=d.charAt(k)) for(r=i=k=0;++k+r*r+i*i<13;i=t) t=2*r*i-X*C+Y*S, r=r*r-i*i-X*S-Y*C+C-1; B.innerHTML=d
Not much magic going here. It is rather straight forward implementation of a Mandelbrot fractal renderer with zoom and rotation of the viewport.
Many bytes were wasted to make sure this effect works cross browser.
The one trick I like here and reused many times was to have one line with some kind credits that also serves as a look up table to render the frames.
Other recent experiments
There are many experiments and projects like MANDELBROT ROTOZOOM to discover other here.
- MUSIC FOR TINY AIRPORTS 2/1 🛫 Celebrating the 40 years anniversary of Brian Eno's "Ambient 1: Music for Airports" with an homage written in 256 bytes with the Web Audio API.
- THEY COME AT DUSK 👺 A survival horror game for JS1k 2018, where you run away from dead miners as you hear your heart beat. Turn around using the arrow keys until all you hear is beeeeeeeep.
- FRONTFEST MOSCOW It was an honour to be invited to Fronfest Moscow 2017 with the little family to give my first workshop; implementing a Twin-stick shooter using ES6 and Canvas, and to continue my CODE🎙ART series of talks + live coding aiming to inspire new web developer artists.
- ASAHIKAWA Flyby the city of Asahikawa in 64 bytes.
- TERRA A voxel landscape rendered using a plasma in a valid 480bytes Atari bootsector. TERRA ranked #2 at Outline 2006
Don't be shy; get in touch by mail, twitter, github, linkedin or pouet if you have any questions, feedback, speaking, workshop or performance opportunity.