Many people did fractals renderers in Javasript in 256 bytes, but no one ever made one that zooms and rotate... until today.
Exactly 256 bytes.
And here is a slightly beautified version of the render loop
for(d='p01?*?:,~.????',C=Math.cos(n-=88),S=Math.sin(n),Y=m=1+C,z=2048;z;Y-=m/16) for(d+='<br>',X=m;--z&63;X-=m/32,d+=d.charAt(k)) for(r=i=k=0;++k+r*r+i*i<13;i=t) t=2*r*i-X*C+Y*S, r=r*r-i*i-X*S-Y*C+C-1; B.innerHTML=d
Not much magic going here. It is rather straight forward implementation of a Mandelbrot fractal renderer with zoom and rotation of the viewport.
Many bytes were wasted to make sure this effect works cross browser.
The one trick I like here and reused many times was to have one line with some kind credits that also serves as a look up table to render the frames.
Other recent experiments
There are many experiments and projects like MANDELBROT ROTOZOOM to discover other here.
- WE DON'T MAKE MISTAKES AT DEVONE 2019 Giving the closing keynote DEV ONE 2019, held on April 11 in Linz, Austria was absolutely fantastic. The conference was very well organized with one track, 11 talks about "scale" and 600 wonderful delegates. I learnt so much that day, got confirmation for some good practices but also learnt about many opportunities to improve our work. Also it was a pleasure to meet new people and see familiar faces among the organizers and attendees from Script'17.
- WOLF1K The idea of this entry for the JS1K contest was to do the impossible: a 1K remake of the famous WOLF5K that rocked the final edition of the5K. It does not feature guns, evil grins and violence for in WOLF1K there is no room for guns or any form of violence.
- ASAHIKAWA Flyby the city of Asahikawa in 64 bytes.
- TERRA A voxel landscape rendered using a plasma in a valid 480bytes Atari bootsector. TERRA ranked #2 at Outline 2006
- FIRE Warming up with a 32 bytes fire effect for MSDOS after a few years break from the demoscene for studies and work.
Don't be shy; get in touch by mail, twitter, github, linkedin or pouet if you have any questions, feedback, speaking, workshop or performance opportunity.