There is also a plain version in 209 bytes
<body id=B text=snow bgColor=0><script>O=setInterval("m='p01 256b Starfield';c=Math.cos;for(o=0;o<65;)m+='<p style=position:absolute;top:'+(50+(z=399/(73-(++o+O++&63)))*c(o*.9))+'%;left:'+(50+z*c(o))+(z>>4?'%>.':'%;color:#456>.');B.innerHTML=m",9)</script>
256 bytes for the polished version above with title, colors and fog and 209 bytes for the plain version below
<body id=B text=tan bgColor=0><script>setInterval("m='';c=Math.cos;for(u=65;u;)m+='<p style=position:absolute;top:'+(50+(z=399/(9+(--U+u--&63)))*c(u*9))+'%;left:'+(50+z*c(u))+'%>�';B.innerHTML=m",U=9)</script>
The cool tricks were the TOTORO smiley
++o+O++ that increases the zoom ratio and the index of the stars, and the use of
Math.cos with fixed angles per star to give their direction.
The feedback for Starfield on pouet was rather nice.
Other recent experiments
There are many experiments and projects like STARFIELD to discover other here.
- MUSIC FOR TINY AIRPORTS AT WEB AUDIO CONFERENCE The Web Audio Conference 2018, held in September 19-21 in Berlin was a great mix of researchers, web developers, artists and performers presenting their projects. I had the chance to provide a deep dive into music for tiny airports, explaining how to generate hours and hours of music in a handful of bytes.
- MUSIC FOR TINY AIRPORTS 2/1 🛫 Celebrating the 40 years anniversary of Brian Eno's "Ambient 1: Music for Airports" with an homage written in 256 bytes with the Web Audio API.
- THEY COME AT DUSK 👺 A survival horror game for JS1k 2018, where you run away from dead miners as you hear your heart beat. Turn around using the arrow keys until all you hear is beeeeeeeep.
- SUDOKU SOLVER Solves a Sudoku grid using magic, recursion, and 140bytes of brute force.
- OOMA 2 Rotozoom with tilt and experimental music in a valid 480bytes Atari bootsector.
- ASAHIKAWA Flyby the city of Asahikawa in 64 bytes.
Don't be shy; get in touch by mail, twitter, github, linkedin or pouet if you have any questions, feedback, speaking, workshop or performance opportunity.