Script'17 was all kinds of awesome: Great organization, line up, venue, catering, diverse and welcoming. It was a pleasure to talk to you all and LIVE code something useless before the party. Looking forward to see useless things from you all.
Video, slides & code
You can read the slides or check the result of the LIVE coding session.
Bare in mind that the code is "optimized" for writting time. I had a limited amount of time to write and explain it on stage.
For a faster version, you should check the JS1k 2107 invitation I did using the same techniques.
Script'17 is the first international web developement conference in Linz, Austria and it was success! Kudos to the main organizers, Stefan and Sebastian, and the staff who pulled this off. The whole conference was smooth, engaging and welcoming.
This animation shows some particles following two vectors fields: one at a very low resolution to give the general direction and a second one at a higher and time dependent resolution to bring everchanging twirls to the visuals.
The music uses the Web Audio API and a scriptProcessor to generate a hihat, crash cymbal and a melody using noise and a sawtooth oscillator ( a big word for
something % 1 ).
For the render loop, I abused the
onaudioprocess event handler of the scriptProcessor to render both the audio and the visuals. This was a shortcut to save time on stage and to show that this is possible. However this meands that the sounds might stutter if the visuals take too long to render.
To give an extra kick to the animation, the canvas is scaled based on a value from the audio buffer and the intensity of the crash cymbal.
The feedback to the talk and LIVE coding session has been incredible. THANK YOU!
If you enjoyed what you saw and would like to have a go yourself at doing useless things, and you should, get yourself a copy of The nature of code and visit JS1k.
Other recent projects
There are many experiments and projects like CODING⬢ART AT SCRIPT'17 to discover other here.
- WE DON'T MAKE MISTAKES AT DEVONE 2019 Giving the closing keynote DEV ONE 2019, held on April 11 in Linz, Austria was absolutely fantastic. The conference was very well organized with one track, 11 talks about "scale" and 600 wonderful delegates. I learnt so much that day, got confirmation for some good practices but also learnt about many opportunities to improve our work. Also it was a pleasure to meet new people and see familiar faces among the organizers and attendees from Script'17.
- MUSIC FOR TINY AIRPORTS AT WEB AUDIO CONFERENCE The Web Audio Conference 2018, held in September 19-21 in Berlin was a great mix of researchers, web developers, artists and performers presenting their projects. I had the chance to provide a deep dive into music for tiny airports, explaining how to generate hours and hours of music in a handful of bytes.
- DWITTER SON1K DWITTER—SON1K, the winning entry of JS1k 2017 is a social AudioVisual LIVE coding environment for the Twitter generation.
- MICRO NOVA Quite possibly the smallest WebGL demo effect. Micro Nova clocks under 512bytes and shows supernova-like blasting colors.
- COTTON CANDY First stab at webGL, in 1k between two nappy changes. It's glitchy and tiny but I quite like this puppy. It ranked #3 at DemoJS.
- OOMA 2 Rotozoom with tilt and experimental music in a valid 480bytes Atari bootsector.
Don't be shy; get in touch by mail, twitter, github, linkedin or pouet if you have any questions, feedback, speaking, workshop or performance opportunity.