The brilliant arcade game Defender now playable inside the favicon of your browser! The idea was to push the concept of generated favicons far and beyond and pack a thrilling retro shooter in 16×16 pixels.
DEFENDER of the what ?
Gameplay & Controls
The menace come from above! Protect the humanoid population from the waves of aliens coming to abduct them. Thankfully the shield of your Defender can take a few hit.
- N to shoot or start a game
- WASD or the arrow keys to move your Defender over the humanoid city
Behind the scene
The core of the game act as a state machine. Notice a few details such as the pause when this tab is not focused, and the resuming and game over transitions.
The game logic isn't really complex but remains true to the original Defender and provides enough action for 16×16 pixels.
The original game mechanics would make Defender of the favicon insanely difficult. Therefore a few adjustments were done : none of the enemies fire at you, your Defender got upgraded with a shield, and finally the Landers do not mutate into unstoppable war machines after abducting a humanoid but wander in your general direction.
Last words before blasting off
I tried to stay away from my usual size optimizations experiments, but I guess this little game still falls in that category. One day I will make something BIG. One day.
Other recent projects
There are many experiments and projects like DEFENDER OF THE FAVICON to discover other here.
- BREATHING EARTH Another take on Nadieh Bremer mesmerizing Breathing Earth visualisation, running at 60fps on a 2D Canvas without libraries or frameworks.
- DRAGON PUNCH An itsy bitsy Dragon curve renderer in 121 bytes.
- WOLFENSTEINY An homage to Wolfenstein 3D in 251 bytes of HTML5
Don't be shy; get in touch by mail, twitter, github, linkedin or pouet if you have any questions, feedback, speaking, workshop or performance opportunity.